The global market now runs on the Internet, and having an effective, easy-to-use web design is necessary in order to get your brand noticed. Consumers rely on the Internet to look for services and products, and with so many websites out there, it’s really crucial that your website is inviting and comfortable to use. The main lesson to take from here: comfort comes with ease. Ease of use is the basis that defines whether a viewer will continue to stay on your website or not. Here are five vital tips to improve your website layout.
1. Shape up and ship out: If your website is cluttered, it makes it hard for consumers to see necessary links and informative pages. Navigation should be effortless and intuitive. A good web design is neat and clean, with easy access to pages provided by well-placed and organized links. The more organized your website is, the better for the viewer to be able to find exactly what they’re looking for. This makes for a satisfied viewer. Search engines will also be able to catalog your pages so they are easier to find, which makes for more potential satisfied viewers. It will also be better looking and more professional to have a clean web layout and homepage.
2. Contrast, contrast, contrast: Everything in your website should be easy to read. While glancing at the color wheel will be helpful, don’t misuse it. Not all complimentary colors are meant to be placed together in your website. Blue text on an orange background is not great for the eyes – and it’s irksome. Black text on any dark background will not be easy to read. But black text on a white or yellow background is good. White text on any very dark background can be good. Creating contrast for your website design helps with navigation and readership. If a consumer can take a nanosecond to recognize the logo from the background and any click-able links from the text and the background, then you have a usable website. The key is ease and neatness.
3. Employ Ease to Your Text: Once again, a good web design should be easy to read. “Mesquite Std” or any font style that looks like it belongs on a diploma or on a cake is not easy to read. There are many font styles to choose from that can represent the personality of your brand, but it is necessary to make it reader friendly. Texts with serifs, the small line that stretches out from the end of a stroke, make your words easy to read. Georgia is a great font to choose from. If you are looking for something sans-serif, Helvetica is a particularly popular font style to use.
4. Develop Your Image: The face of your business is your logo. It’s what makes you easily recognizable. A good logo goes a long way when it comes to consumers remembering your services, developing trust among the community and gaining reverence from new viewers. If you have to look good when going for an interview, then definitely consider how important it is to make your logo look good, since every new viewer opening your website will be taking their own mental evaluation process as they look at your website. Once the trust is developed for your brand, your logo – essentially, your face – becomes recognizable and renowned among the community. It will be your logo that consumers will refer to.
5. Responsive Design for the New Age: As technology advances, consumers have the means to access websites through their phones and tablets. A responsive web design is one that recognizes what tools a consumer is using to access the website and responds accordingly with a layout that is appropriate. It helps viewers who are accessing your website through a device that is not a desktop navigate it easier (see how ease of use is so important here?). Not applying a responsive web design to your brand may end up hurting your business as it may drive viewers away, so don’t forget to work towards this important step, as it will help your business. It will secure your brand in an environment that can thrive in a future where technology will only continue to advance.
Making your website easy is the entire point of developing an online presence that viewers can engage and remember. No consumer wants to put more effort in being able to work with a business, so developing a great, user-friendly environment online is an aspect that absolutely needs attention and care.